Monday 11 June 2018

Alexander-Arnold: I'd rather have got sent off and win than play well and lose

"When I walked down the stage with my silver medal, past the cup obviously, you cannot describe what the feeling is like but it is the closest thing to heartbreak that I have ever had," said Alexander-Arnold



















"I was just really disappointed. I felt like I let everyone down and I am sure the rest of the lads felt like that as well. You know the fans and everyone wanted us to win it – that was the point of everyone travelling over there and everyone wanted to bring the trophy back.
"Obviously it feels like you have got so far and you are so close to winning it but it slipped through our fingers. In a knockout tournament, it is not really about your own performance – it is about the team. So I would rather have had a stinker and got sent off and win it than play well and lose."
Alexander-Arnold, who made 19 Premier League appearances and scored one goal for Liverpool last season, said he had no regrets about withdrawing from the England Under-19s squad before the campaign began.
He is now part of the senior national squad as Gareth Southgate prepares his players for the World Cup in Russia, and the Liverpool youngster said the speed of his own career progress has been hard to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Salah or Hazard? Liverpool legend explains why Chelsea star gets the nod

  Former Reds midfielder Graeme Souness is a big fan of the Egyptian forward, but feels his Premier League rival is a more complete ...